1. breeanaputtroff
    December 2, 2011 @ 12:48 am

You crack me up, Kristy. 🙂 I love reading your fun stories. I learned to cook at an early age, and, while I do not do it even nearly as often as I should, I actually haven’t ever turned out any crazy disasters (aside from burned things in the oven for too long.) I think I got lucky with a combination of lots of instruction from my grandma and aunt Shelly when I was little, and inheriting a knack from my mom for successful experimenting. 🙂

2. Kristy K. James...Living, Loving, Laughing
    December 2, 2011 @ 1:16 am

I’m glad you liked it, Breeana. 🙂

I, too, have burned my fair share of food. And blown up some eggs, too. Did you know that if you forget that you started a pan of boiled eggs long enough, they WILL explode? Talk about a mess! And it’s really hard to clean them off the ceiling…not to mention what it does to your heart when you hear a few explosions going off in the kitchen! 🙂

• Karen Pokras Toz
      December 2, 2011 @ 8:53 am

lol – I did the hard boiled egg thing recently. The pop when it exploded scared the you know what out of me! I was just grateful I didn’t burn the house down. Now I always set the timer (& usually when it goes off, I think “Oh yeah I had eggs boiling!” sigh)

December 2, 2011 @ 11:22 am

I wish I had thought of a timer, lol. I’m pretty sure the stove had one, too. My biggest concern at the time, though, was oh no! Mom is going to KILL me! But I’ve never forgotten them again. At least not THAT long. So what if the water has boiled mostly out of the pan? As long as they stay intact… 🙂

3. Karen Pokras Toz
    December 2, 2011 @ 8:19 am

Too funny – I’m the opposite – I would be perfectly happy with a bowl of cereal for dinner. That being said though, my family would not be so happy – so I do cook real meals every night. I’ve had plenty of experiments (good & bad) myself but so far no complaints at least not to my face 😉

December 2, 2011 @ 11:29 am

Depending on my mood, I’ve been known to have oatmeal and toast for supper. Usually that mood is based on whether I gave in and had to make my son’s favorite meal…tuna and noodles. Other alternatives for that night would be canned soup or poached eggs and toast.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said you cook meals EVERY night. I don’t know about you, but I find I can get into the rut of making the same bunch of meals over and over…which gets a little boring. And is probably the catalyst for any experimentation that goes on in the kitchen these days. 🙂

December 3, 2011 @ 1:24 am

Yep, I’m with Karen. I would take the bowl of cereal or rather the smoothie. But my family would have me cook. So they get something passable but not amazing or worth raving about because I am not a cook. Don’t want to be and my heart is not in it.

That would probably be part of the problem right there. It was once, a long, long time ago. But then I discovered half of my team never came home in time to eat it while it was hot. My experimenting stopped. Now my kids never want the good stuff. They always yell for chicken nuggets no matter what I make, so => heart not in it.

December 3, 2011 @ 1:40 pm

I can relate to your heart not being in it most of the time. My kids are like that, too. Chicken nuggets, frozen burritos or taquitos, fast food…you name it, if it isn’t good for you, that’s their meal of choice. For that I blame the schools, lol. All they have ever offered (for this generation anyway) is fast food-type foods.

5. Lynn Kelley
    December 4, 2011 @ 12:31 am

Fun post, Kristy! I’ve done the hard boiled egg exploding, too. I know I’ve had plenty of cooking disasters, but they’re not coming to mind right now. You’ve got me thinking, though. I don’t cook much anymore and am fine with a piece of peanut butter toast sometimes. And ice cream always makes a yummy dinner!

6. Kristy K. James...Living, Loving, Laughing
    December 4, 2011 @ 1:41 am

Thanks, Lynn! I’m so glad to know that I’m in good company with the egg thing. And I agree about the ice cream. Sometimes. The thing I usually turn to when I don’t want ‘real’ food though is a bag of popcorn from the local theater. Oh wow…that stuff is wonderful! I’ll go without eating the entire day when I decide it’s time (because it’s VERY high calorie!), go into town to get it, then come home and pop a movie in my computer and call it supper. Hmm. Maybe it’s time to do that again. 🙂

7. Marcy Kennedy
    December 4, 2011 @ 10:11 am

I went through a phase where I was experimenting with peppers. When I got bored of putting them in main course dishes, I decided to test them out in desserts. (Yeah, I know. I should have known better.) The habanero-fruit crisp turned out so hot that no one could tolerate finishing even a single bite. The jalepeno-apple coffee cake was so good I sold the recipe to a magazine 🙂 Still, I got over my pepper phase very quickly.

December 4, 2011 @ 11:38 am

Oh I wish you were related to my family, Marcy! One of my favorite pastimes is to watch YouTube videos where people eat habanero peppers. And I’ve been trying to convince the family for three years now to have a habanero eating contest at the reunion or Christmas party. So far, no interest…I need a partner in crime to help talk them into it. 🙂

I can actually see where adding some pepper to a dessert would work though. I make one drink, when I’m trying harder to add healthy things to my diet, that includes a lot of cayenne pepper…and cinnamon. It’s an interesting flavor combination. 🙂