January 25, 2012 @ 2:41 am

Maybe the celebrations are based after the hibernation theory. Storing up the fat for the winter. 🙂 I know you are trying to sabotage my diet with that drink and the recipes. I won’t let you do it! LOL

January 25, 2012 @ 7:22 pm

You may be right, Debra. Except hibernating creatures don’t eat all winter. I think that’s all human’s do from November through March, lol. And LOL about your diet. I can take or leave the bean dip and the coffee. The cake now…that’s another story entirely. And now I see my aunt mentioning the cake. Uh-oh…

2. August McLaughlin
    January 25, 2012 @ 9:40 am

Such an honest post, Kristy. And you’re so right about cold weather and food traditions making healthy weight control difficult. If I can support your wellness in any way, please say the word. 🙂

I love that fact that you’re preparing delicious food. Even though it can add to temptation, it’s a lot more gratifying than eating “diet” food with little flavor…which tends to trigger even more overeating.

As a side note, some of that winter weight gain is biological, because our bodies are trying to keep us warm (Yep, most of us would prefer a warm coat over body fat… ;)) and because food was historically less available during the winter. Okay, best I stop before I write a book here! LOL Stay well and know you’re lovely!

January 25, 2012 @ 7:28 pm

Thanks, August. If you know of any way to get some pounds off when someone has hypothyroidism, metabolic syndrome, and maybe PCOS, I’m all ears. My doctor thinks it’s next to impossible and I intend to prove her wrong. 🙂

Amen on the warm coat! I could even go for thermal long johns if I were going to be outside for a while…rather than have extra insulation in the way of body fat.

3. Donna Forbush
    January 25, 2012 @ 1:05 pm

OK Kristy, have tried the bean dip., The Trivial Pursuit gang is now holding out for the cake…I love your blogs, keep up the wonderful work you do..Love.

4. Kristy K. James...Living, Loving, Laughing
    January 25, 2012 @ 7:29 pm

Just let me know when the next game is scheduled (a few days in advance) and I’ll make sure I bring one along. “Y’all’ just better be prepared to pig out because I don’t want to bring much home. Maybe one slice. The rest needs to be eaten because I can’t resist that cake, lol. Love you, too. 🙂

January 26, 2012 @ 1:15 am

I gained weight reading this post. totally unfair Kristy. but yummy. i’m going to try the dip at the next family get together.

January 26, 2012 @ 2:01 am

LOL, Louise! I know what you mean. I probably gained 10 pounds just typing out the recipe for the cake! But a word of caution on the dip…when I take it anywhere, I use a mild or medium salsa, depending on the brand. A lot of people prefer mildly spiced foods. 🙂

6. coleen patrick
    January 26, 2012 @ 11:49 am

I feel like i’ve been hibernating with food all winter!! 🙂 Thankfully spring comes before summer and I don’t have to take my sweatshirts and jackets off right away. ha ha

January 26, 2012 @ 6:03 pm

It’s just too easy to do, isn’t it? I keep putting off going to the pool because I know I’ll be colder when I leave than when I got there. But I AM planning on starting back on Monday. Of course I was planning on it three days ago, the Monday before that, the Monday before that, the Monday before… I’ll be wearing my sweaters in July at this rate…and paying a fortune in a/c bills! 🙂