1. Sheila Seabrook
    February 16, 2012 @ 9:44 pm

You are far braver than I am, Kristy. We sent our boys to driver training. Part of the incentive was that up here in Canada, it gave them a reduction on their insurance. But the biggest reason, neither my honey or I could stand the stress of the training. Yikes!

February 17, 2012 @ 12:04 am

I don’t know if it’s brave so much as just knowing that she’s a fairly cautious young lady. She will have to take her road test through a training school though. The state doesn’t do that anymore. But so far I’m holding up. Except for those few scares…and one that involved looking at Christmas lights when eyes SHOULD have been on the road, she’s doing good. 🙂

February 15, 2012 @ 11:41 pm

I’m so glad my kids are beyond that. we had a freak snow storm Monday night. it rained, froze and then snowed an inch or two. my daughter is a confident great driver and it took her an hour to go about a mile. sheer ice. she kept calling me to tell me to avoid that road and her calls were driving me crazy because I couldn’t answer – since I was driving.

anyway, we all got home ok, altho it took 90 minutes longer than it should have.

and in truth, she’s a way better driver than me.

February 16, 2012 @ 11:57 pm

I don’t mind driving on snow at all…but ice? Oh I hate that. And it seems like road crews make it worse when they go through and plow all the snow, leaving nothing but the slick stuff underneath. I’m sorry you, your daughter, and everyone else where you live had to experience that. Sounds like they should have sanded the roads…or at least salted them. Maybe both! Glad you both made it home safely! 🙂

3. Karen McFarland
    February 15, 2012 @ 9:16 pm

Oh don’t you hate how fast our kids grow up Kristy? And the driving thing. Don’t even remind me. I aged a decade I think through the whole process. LOL! Good to see that you have a resposible daughter who is cautious behind the wheel.

Hey listen girl. You did win a prize. Everyone won something! So come
    and get it! 🙂

February 16, 2012 @ 11:54 pm

I do hate that, Karen! I can’t tell you how many times I wish I could turn back time (knowing what I know now, of course). I miss the whole toddler time, and the time when the kids thought I was intelligent. And I completely understand the whole aging a decade thing. Sometimes I want to turn the rear view mirror to see if my hair has gone white. 🙂

February 15, 2012 @ 1:28 pm

I got my learner’s permit as soon as I was able. My father had me drive all the way home, stopping at the race track to practice in their large, empty parking lot along the way. That night we were going out to dinner and my dad said, “Let Debbie drive.” It was dark and raining. My mom was horrified and said, “WHAT?!” Well, I drove. A little stiff and nervous, but my father had confidence in me and I didn’t want to let him down. I did fine.

Several weeks later I was alone in the car with my mother and parking in a lot. I could tell the car wasn’t going to make the turn so I was applying the brake. All of the sudden my mother screams at the top of her lungs. Scared the hell out of me. I jumped, hit the ceiling and came down on the gas. Do I need to tell you the rest?

I agree, some kids need more watching than others. I’ve seen it, and I think I have one of those. But sometimes you can’t let them see you’re scared.

February 16, 2012 @ 11:51 pm

LOL…your dad sounds like someone I’d liked to have known. The kind of parent who knows you’re not going to learn how to swim if you don’t get your feet wet. I am more inclined to be like your mom and have to work really hard to avoid an all out panic at times because I don’t want HER to panic. But hearing what happened to someone else when ‘Mom’ did is a riot!

5. Katrina
    February 15, 2012 @ 8:58 am

My daughter is certified gifted (IQ at age 4, was 110 – I’m not sure anyone knows what it is now exactly) but she is not the best driver and learning to drive was horrifying for all of us. Her then boyfriend and I fought regularly over who’s turn it was to take her out to practice. The only reason she passed her driving test at 17 was because she was: 17, petite, blonde hair, blue eyes, and the State Trooper giving her the test was probably barely old enough to wear the uniform. I feel your pain. Good Luck!

February 16, 2012 @ 11:44 pm

Oh my gosh, Katrina, that is hilarious! Fighting over who got to take her out to practice! And the State Trooper, thank you for sharing that. I needed a good laugh. I’ll be remembering this tomorrow when I take my daughter out to practice some more. 🙂