March 16, 2012 @ 1:43 am

why don’t you have sedation dentistry? My friend does that whenever she ahs to go to the dentist and she is now over her fear – she has the same problem you do – freezing doesn’t work on her.

glad you’re on the path to healing

March 16, 2012 @ 4:51 pm

She doesn’t do laughing gas, Louise. I wish she did. After the weird feeling, it makes the whole dental experience more pleasant. I feel for your friend. It’s not fun when their shots don’t work like they should. If I counted right on Wednesday, I had ten shots. When I went in for something last summer…it was seven. And I wound up with an infection…including my ear…because of it. Yippee. 🙂

• Louise Behiel
        March 16, 2012 @ 6:58 pm

my goodness. I’ve never heard of this much trouble with dentistry. I’m grateful for my stuff.

2. asraidevin
    March 16, 2012 @ 2:49 am

Pain is bad. Toothpain makes it nearly impossible to think at times. Glad that you got it mostly taken care of. Make yourself up a green smoothie so you don’t have to chew.

My husband is like you with pain killers, few of them work properly on him. I have to watch my children closely to see if the react similarly.

I’m like you, I put off seeing the dentist. Mostly because until recently, I couldn’t really afford the services that were needed.

try some cold packs (or heat- heat works better on me).

March 16, 2012 @ 4:56 pm

I put off going to the dentist for one main reason…and that is fear, lol. With very few exceptions it’s always hurt. But it was the same with my last C-section. They didn’t believe it hurt until a nurse said, “OMG, she’s pulling her feet out of the strap!” Then they increased whatever med they were using in the epidural and it stopped hurting.

Do watch your kids…it’s a very unpleasant experience if they’re not properly medicated for dental (or ANY medical) work. And thanks for the suggestion. I’ll have to play around and see which works best, heat or cold. But the pain is quite a bit less today. I wasn’t diving for the Advil bottle when it was time. 🙂

3. Katrina
    March 16, 2012 @ 8:21 am

I have a phobia of dentists. I’ve a valid reason for this phobia which I will share with you another time, you’re too traumatized at the moment, so I feel your pain, literally. Also, pain meds work fine on me, those meds they use to sedate you for surgery? not so much. I’m always awake and checking out everything in the operating room. I’m so alert when I get in there, I ask questions about the equipment and make small talk. I’m a real delight as a patient (Yes that was dripping with sarcasm) rest, get better, and take care of yourself.

March 16, 2012 @ 4:57 pm

Sounds like your dental experiences have been similar to mine, Katrina. And I just told Asrai about my last experience with a C-section. I’m sure I delight my doctors and dentists, too. 🙂

4. Shelly Immel
    March 16, 2012 @ 2:24 pm

Ow, ow, ow, ow, OW. Much sympathy sent your way, Kristy. Sleeping with pain is not the same as really good sleep, but it sure beats NOT sleeping through it. Get well soon!

5. Kristy K. James...Living, Loving, Laughing
    March 16, 2012 @ 5:00 pm

The pain hasn’t actually been as bad now that the tooth is out. And it only got that bad because I was too chicken to make the call. Not that it would have done any good a month earlier because she had just started her maternity leave.

My biggest problem now is that Hunger Games is going to be at the theater next weekend…and I WILL be eating popcorn. LOL…just going to have to make real sure I chew it on the OTHER side of my mouth. 🙂

March 16, 2012 @ 5:00 pm

Oops, if I’d known they were going to get it that soon, I’d have sucked it up and made the appointment for the week afterward. And I would have, too. Yeah, I know. I’m weird. 🙂

6. August McLaughlin
    March 17, 2012 @ 5:28 pm

Youch! I feel your pain, Kristy. Hope you’re feeling lots better and getting as much of that rest as you need. Great time for chilled foods…smoothies, ice cream—YUM. (Yeah, yeah, sugar. But you deserve it, IMHO. Go all natural if you prefer. ;))

7. Cindy L Riemersma
    March 18, 2012 @ 12:20 am

Oh, Kristy, you poor thing. There is nothing worse than tooth pain and I mean nothing! Including labor pain. Fortunately for me, my fear of pain is much more severe than my fear of dentists, doctors, and the like. I cannot imagine how you have lasted as long as you did, but I am so happy for you that it is finally over! Keep resting and take care! So glad you are back.

-Cindy

March 25, 2012 @ 3:28 am

Hi, Cindy…
      I apologize for the delay in responding but periodically WP files comments somewhere other than where they should go…and I just found this one tonight.

I agree with you 100% (though labor is a close second-I much preferred my C-sections to labor!). Unfortunately my fear of dentists is old and deep-rooted, and it’s always pain that motivates me to make an appointment. When it starts affecting my sleep, then it’s time to make the call. LOL…just didn’t count on my dentist being on maternity leave when I did.

Thanks for stopping by…it’s nice to see you. 🙂