1. Anonymous
    September 19, 2012 @ 4:09 pm

I just started Armour 3 months ago. Doc just added cytomel..some days I feel okay to better….today, I feel all terrible symptoms. I’m just so tired..headachy..and so on. I think eliminating gluten whether you have celiac desease or not, is probably right on. I can hardly wait for relief : ) taking one day at a time, being patient and positive as possible, I’m sure is key. Video was cool. Thanx. Theresa

September 20, 2012 @ 10:25 pm

Hi, Theresa. It’s nice to meet you! Have you given u p gluten? When? I know when I first gave it up last year, it took a couple of months before I saw much of an improvement. I’ve ‘fallen off the wagon’ a few times…once because of a hot dog (and I don’t even really like them), and the second time because of a raspberry bismark. Both times led to a few months eating everything gluten. But I found out quickly that I must have some sort of allergy. When I eat it more than once a week, I start retaining fluid and getting out of breath easily (from the edema). So, slow learner that I am, I’m going to really limit the gluten from now on. It takes a couple of weeks to get back to the new normal.

As for the thyroid treatment…in nearly a year and a half, my TSH has only been in the optimal levels twice, and both times just barely (at the top of the scale). It’s never once been near the 1 or 2 it should be for me to actually feel better. I’m going to have to do some research on the Cytomel.

I know the things that help me the most, and this has been through trial and error. You can read about it at my other blog if you want. It’s kind of a diary, mostly for me, but just to keep track of what works and what doesn’t.

I take a tablespoon of expeller pressed coconut oil 30 minutes after my Synthroid now. I try to remember to do that three times a day, but am only good about that first one. You do NOT want to take it within about 4 hours of bedtime though, or you may be counting sheep a lot longer than you planned.

I’ve also gotten very diligent about taking women’s multi-vitamins, along with a B-complex, at least 1 time-released B12, digestive enzymes, and a couple of months ago I started buying dessicated adrenal supplements from Amazon. Adrenal fatigue seems to go hand-in-hand with hypothyroidism.

Just be patient. I’ve learned that my doctor doesn’t know everything, and I continue to research and tweak what I’m doing…because feeling good again is one of my biggest goals right now. I hope you find some things that help you feel better, too. 🙂

March 31, 2012 @ 7:38 pm

Fascinating information. I’m not hypo, I don’t think. but now i’m going to have to check things out.

April 1, 2012 @ 10:34 am

I didn’t think I was either, Louise. In fact, I was fairly surprised when the doctor said I was. I had just gone in to have my vitamin D levels checked because I don’t like being in the sun, and I sure don’t drink a lot of milk. So she decided to check my TSH.

I’m not sure what your symptoms are, but mine was just the overwhelming fatigue…and I couldn’t lose a pound no matter how hard I tried (four months, zero cheating the last time before testing).

It’s worth getting tested if you have problems with either of those things (or both). Just pay attention to your test results and don’t go strictly by what your doctor says. Apparently there are new standards that say anything over 3 is hypo, but many doctors still go by the ‘old rules’ that say anything over 5. Mine was 6 so there was no question.

Something else to know is that TSH is not the best test for it. I guess free T3/4 and thyroid antibodies (?) are the best but most doctors won’t test for them, and of those who do, they still hold the TSH to be the the most important.

3. Shelly Immel
    March 31, 2012 @ 11:15 am

Hi, Kristy. I’m hypo, too. Thyroid medication comes in many forms. If one medicine doesn’t work, you can try another. I prefer Armour Thyroid, which is not synthetic. My body knows the difference. Maybe yours does, too. (You can find a doctor to champion any medication, and do it with utter confidence. If the med you’re taking isn’t right for you and your doctor won’t change it, consider checking out a doctor who will. It’s YOUR health, and you are the captain of that ship.)

Also, dosing is very idiosyncratic. Even going by test results isn’t the most accurate way. If you feel bad, you could try adjusting the dose a tiny bit, up or down, and see if there’s any improvement.

And for added fun, the optimal dosage isn’t always exactly the same. Changing dosages is tricky, so I take the same amount all the time, but I can tell there a months when it’s not quite enough…and then it comes back into line.

So sorry to hear you are having trouble with this! Something else to look at with any hormone imbalance: is your body not producing enough? or is it not using what’s produced properly? It might be time to try treating the root cause, if you can find it.

Wishing you much better fortune as you balance your priorities (oh, I hear you on that!) and seek better solutions!
    XOXO

March 30, 2012 @ 11:33 am

I am so sorry you are dealing with this Kristy. What a horrible feeling to have. I went through a period a year or two ago when I felt that way and it really sucked. I can’t imagine feeling that way most or all of the time. My thoughts and prayers go out to you. Sending you my best wishes.

March 30, 2012 @ 9:20 pm

Thanks, Debra. I appreciate it. If you ever get feeling like that again, you should be tested though. Of course having it come back positive doesn’t always make a big difference. Be nice if it was like having a headache. Take an aspirin and the problem is gone. 🙂

• Debra Kristi
        March 31, 2012 @ 12:33 am

If only my headaches were that simple. Mine used to go on for five to seven days making me nauseous much of the time. I’ll keep that in mind about the testing. Thanks, Kristy.

March 31, 2012 @ 1:02 am

Hmm. There is a connection between headaches and gluten sensitivity. You might want to investigate that a bit.

• Debra Kristi
            March 31, 2012 @ 2:19 am

My neurologist has made a lot of headway in that area. I’m much better than I used to be.

5. Katrina
    March 30, 2012 @ 11:31 am

I’m sorry this is happening to you. Hang in there, my prays are with you.

6. coleen patrick
    March 30, 2012 @ 10:00 am

That sucks Kristy. I know how just one symptom can derail a day, but there’s so many things that can mess you up with hypothyroidism. My grandmother, mom and brother were all diagnosed with it–so i get tested every year. I hope you can find something to help you get back in balance!

March 30, 2012 @ 9:18 pm

It’s good you get tested, Coleen. It does seem to run in families. My mom has it, and I’m pretty sure my sister does, too, but she won’t go in to be tested.

And I will find something that works. Much as I hate the thought, I did feel better gluten-free so I’m starting back on that on Monday. After a gluten orgy this weekend, lol. 🙂