1. Jennette Marie Powell
    April 11, 2012 @ 8:48 am

Oh man, I feel your pain! I did the same thing when my book went to print! Thankfully, I also proofread it in typeset, two-up format beforehand, so it was almost like reading the paperback, and I found a bunch of errors. Even then, a couple still got by me, but I won’t fix them at this point because my printer charges a $37 setup fee if I do. With the new book, I formatted for print before releasing the ebook, and sure enough, I found a couple mistakes that got by me, my beta readers, and my copyeditor. Good luck, and congrats on the release!

April 11, 2012 @ 1:02 pm

I didn’t even think to try reading it with that setup, Jennette. But I don’t think it would have mattered to me. My problem seems to be more along the lines of ‘zoning out’ when I read too long on the computer. So in the future my goal will be to get a paperback version BEFORE I go through any of my books too many times.

I’m glad you got yours down to a couple of mistakes. Hopefully I will have accomplished that by the time I go to bed tonight. 🙂

2. Katrina
    April 11, 2012 @ 9:53 am

Sorry about that, I should have taken better notes

April 11, 2012 @ 12:50 pm

You read it once, Katrina, and…as I recall, I’d just asked to to do that to get your opinion of the story, not to do any editing. So don’t worry about that at all. The ‘more beta readers’ comment is because I don’t know how many times I’ve been through Enza now…and the number of notes I’ve made for things to fix is unbelievable. And growing. 🙂

April 11, 2012 @ 4:19 pm

I think we need to read it and reread it. We may see different things every time. We should also have others read it because they will see things our eyes will skip over, seeing what we think we should see. I found all kinds of things reading through the last few chapters of my MS last night. LOL Have faith girl. In a few weeks this will all be behind you and we can laugh at it.

April 11, 2012 @ 8:48 pm

That’s where the frustration comes in, Debra. I’ve read it about half a dozen times…and found things that needed fixed every time. But not as many errors as reading through the paperback version (which I will HOPEFULLY finish tonight).

I think it’s just easy for anyone who reads much to see a sentence as it should be, rather than how it is. A lot of mine are punctuation-related, and one is a particular pet peeve (using the same word more than once…i.e. ‘quickly’ in two consecutive sentences).

I can’t wait to laugh about all of this in a few weeks. You just remember that, too. And never, ever forget the most important part about writing…editing sucks. 🙂

• Debra Kristi
        April 11, 2012 @ 9:42 pm

LOL. Yes it does. I have the same pet peeve regarding words. I find myself changing them all the time when I find that. One thing you can do is put the word into “search” and see how often it pops up. Too often – you’re in trouble. I had a word I did that with in the first draft that had to be scratched a lot. Oops.

April 12, 2012 @ 9:03 pm

That’s a great idea! I’ll have to see if I can figure out how to do that. Of course I have to finish reading it first. Two chapters and the epilogue left. I WILL have it finished tonight though. Finally. 🙂

4. Debra Eve
    April 11, 2012 @ 11:07 pm

Been there, too! I’ve vowed the next time I’m going to hire not one, but two, people to proof. I can’t see my own typos anymore. But congrats on getting it done, Kristy. That’s a huge achievement!

April 12, 2012 @ 9:06 pm

Thanks, Debra. I’m glad I’m not at the point where I can’t see them anymore…the problem is, I’m seeing too many! My beta readers picked up a lot, I’m just disgusted with how many there are. It’s amazing. But I’ll have it ready by this weekend. 🙂

April 11, 2012 @ 11:13 pm

ditto for me. I read it and two other readers went through it with a fine tooth comb but there they were, the little devils. darn and double. darn

6. Emma
    April 12, 2012 @ 2:14 pm

All books have errors in them, even those that get the traditionally published treatment. Drink lots of tea to see you through the rest of the reading.

April 12, 2012 @ 9:10 pm

Good advice, Emma. And you’re 100% right about the traditionally published books. But it’s only the indie authors who take heat about the errors. So we all have to take as much care as we can to put out the best quality books we possibly can. And amen to the tea! I love that stuff. 🙂