1. Emma
    May 23, 2012 @ 12:55 pm

There was a beautiful old arcade building overlooking the seaside resort of Youghal in County Cork (Ireland). I have vivid memories of climbing the spiral red stairs higher and higher and having a perfect view through the glass walls onto the strand. The whole place was torn down some years back and replaced with horrible apartments. I was away the summer it happened and came home to the news. I was devastated I never got go and visit and take a few pics.
    I still have the great memories though.

May 23, 2012 @ 4:50 pm

That’s always a shock when a special place is gone without warning isn’t it? It sounds like a very special place and I wish you had been able to get pictures. I’m totally fascinated by Ireland (the Born In trilogy by Nora Roberts is one of my favorite series to read).

• Emma
        May 23, 2012 @ 5:30 pm

You know it’s probably terrible to admit this but I haven’t read Nora Robert’s books. I’m seeing lots of good people blogging about them so I’ll have to get a move on!

May 24, 2012 @ 11:45 am

You’ll probably have to order them from Amazon, Emma. I found them in a used book store (or maybe I inherited them from an aunt in 2002…when I wound up with EIGHT HUGE BOXES of her massive collection of books). I’ve read them several times, and enjoy them every bit as much as the first time. 🙂

• Emma
            May 24, 2012 @ 2:41 pm

8 boxes? I’d be overwhelmed by that many books!

May 24, 2012 @ 4:50 pm

Yeah, I was, too. There were HUNDREDS of them. I wound up sorting through them and dropped about half of them off at a used bookstore. I’m not sure where she stored them all because what I got was a small fraction of all the ones she owned.

May 23, 2012 @ 11:41 am

Where I grew up if I search back far enough, much of the town was orange groves. They are hard to find today. I remember the old closed elementary school I used to walk past during my high school lunch break. My church bought the property and later it was the beautiful sanctuary I was married in.

I also recall the Sears store my father worked part-time in, my parent’s bought my bedroom furniture from and where we used to go to for the giant Sears catalog all the time. Years later I was part of the team that closed that store down. It’s now a giant multiplex theater. Progress. Even my old high school has changed something fierce. It definitely feels odd stepping back there.

May 23, 2012 @ 4:45 pm

I remember the Sears catalogs (did you have the one with the guy in the boxers that made headlines?).

That’s a nice story about the elementary school, but I know what you mean. Driving through the ‘old neighborhood’ is almost like driving through a different city these days, isn’t it?

May 23, 2012 @ 12:46 am

Calgary is growing so quickly but it is growing out at all the edges. there are a few things though. where the biggest mall is, used to be a drive in theatre. the first store in that mall was Sears which will be closed this summer.

my grandma’s house was torn down and a big house built in its stead. i miss that, although I haven’t been there for decades. the house of my childhood is also gone – replaced by a condo…LOL i guess there’s lots of changes.

May 23, 2012 @ 4:28 pm

I think urban sprawl is affecting even small towns these days, Louise. When I first moved to this town it was perfect (think kind of the Mayberry of the north). Now it’s expanded to the point that I’d like to move a little farther north to another podunk town.

As far as I know none of the houses we lived in has been torn down. Even my grandparent’s house still stands. It would be really hard to see them gone.

It’s too bad that city governments are always looking to expand. Out with the old and in with the new and bigger. 🙁