June 11, 2012 @ 8:59 am

i don’t think you’re a prude but I do think things are changing. my parents didn’t pay much attention to fashion and style but my dad went ballistic over the beatles’ hair cuts. i’ll never forget his rant. Now the cycle has gone full circle and we’re back to uber short hair for men. it will be interesting to see if this more revealing look will circle around as well.

I saw a beautiful young woman last summer walking toward me, wearing jeans. long legs, great body everything looked great. then she walked past me and I saw her from the rear. I did a double take. She had but the seat out of her jeans and had her cheeks hanging out. her thong was beneath the waist band of her jeans and between…well you know what i mean. no undies to be seen. and her cheeks just sat there…LOLOLOL OMG. can you imagine sitting on a fairground ride like that? Or a seat in the food fair? LOL too funny.

June 11, 2012 @ 1:42 pm

Ewwwwww!!!! Oh yuck! WHY would someone want to walk around like that, LOLOL?! Sure hope that style doesn’t catch on here! Can you imagine sitting on a chair or a ride AFTER she sat there? Gross!

But that’s just another reason why current styles worry me. It’s like girls and women see themselves as sex objects…and too many guys are taking them up on that offer…whether they’re willing or not. I hope these styles do circle back around to a more conservative look. 🙁

2. Marcy Kennedy
    June 11, 2012 @ 12:18 pm

I don’t think you’re being a prude at all. In fact, my husband has told me more than once that one of the things that drew him to me and that he loves about me is that I dress “classy.” I take care to find clothes that fit me well and that I look good in, but that don’t make me look like a…well, you know. (I’ll spare you his language since he was in the Marine Corps.) I think the message girls are getting from the media today is that you can’t be attractive to men unless you flash all your assets, and that’s just not true.

June 11, 2012 @ 1:54 pm

Yes, I can imagine the language a Marine would use…unfortunately your husband choice of words is probably spot on. When I was growing up, and it wasn’t THAT long ago, they’re probably the same words you’d have heard regarding styles like we see today.

I’ve said for a while now that all of the good and unique styles were used before 1990, and all that’s left are things that would have had us laughed out of school. Or branded as….a word a Marine might use.

Wouldn’t it be nice if these girls would figure out that their most attractive assets are those that can’t be seen?

• Marcy Kennedy
        June 11, 2012 @ 7:02 pm

We can hope that as they mature they’ll figure it out, but clothes seem to be getting tinier all the time,

3. Tameri Etherton
    June 11, 2012 @ 11:44 pm

I think it’s possible to be sexy AND classy. I agree, girls and women don’t need to show all their assets and I think men like them covered up because it gives them something to guess at or look forward to (I’m thinking here of boyfriends and husbands, not pervs who are up to no good).

I never had to deal with trashy clothes for my daughter thank goodness, but I did see plenty of girls at her high school that made me wonder why they felt the need to dress so provocatively. Kind of makes me sad that they think that is the way to snag a man.

4. Kristy K. James...Living, Loving, Laughing
    June 12, 2012 @ 12:33 am

My daughter doesn’t wear trashy clothes…just low cut jeans and T-shirts that I think need to be a lot longer than they are. Technically she’s a lot more conservative than most girls….just not enough to make me happy, lol.

But I agree with you on the husbands and boyfriends. At least the ones who are real men. But too many women and girls are dressing for the guys who aren’t worth having. And it is sad. Beauty really is only skin deep…and that goes for both sexes.

June 12, 2012 @ 7:07 pm

I agree with what everyone is saying. How can anyone feel comfortable dressing like that knowing that any little move might have them popping out at any moment. It’s not right and I don’t understand it.

June 12, 2012 @ 9:45 pm

Yeah, I don’t need to see any popping out. I have to stare at the floor enough when I’m in the locker room at the pool, thanks (some women are a whole lot more comfortable walking around naked in public places than I am, LOL).

When I was fifteen I wore a halter top that some people thought was obscene. It makes me laugh now because compared to what girls are wearing today, it was VERY conservative. Between the barely there tops, and skirts so short you wouldn’t dare to lean forward even a little…yeah, nothing to the imagination anymore. 🙁

6. Sunshine and Other Simple Pleasures « Fabio Bueno