1. mj monaghan
    August 24, 2012 @ 10:46 am

Hey, KK – I didn’t know you like The Avengers. You’ve only mentioned it maybe one, or two-hundred times! 😉

BTW, did you know it’s called “Marvel Avengers Assemble” in the UK and Ireland? A little trivia for you. It was an awesome movie, I have to agree.

Great post on not letting the initial bloom wear off. Since I am a romantic, I do try to have those moments of surprise and sentimentality, but as you’ve witnessed, I could possibly have more moments of hilarity (in my own mind, apparently).

I am still that junior high boy who sends the note one minute and the next I’m pulling your pony tail. hehehe

August 24, 2012 @ 1:51 pm

Yeah, I keep meaning to let people know what a great movie that was. Obviously I’ve held back and need to speak up a little more. 😀

I did not know that it was called Marvel Avengers Assemble. Hmm. I wonder why. Not that I wouldn’t have gone to see it with that title, but ‘The Avengers’ just sounds…better.

For your information…and this isn’t trivia…humor can be very romantic (as long as it doesn’t include things like this… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYLo88IS9rE (If I’d been that wife, he’d have had a broken nose in a heartbeat). But laughter is always good…and always fun.

If you’re still that junior high boy…then I’d say your MLB is a lucky lady. 🙂

• mj monaghan
        August 30, 2012 @ 1:32 pm

Ha, I love that clip, but would NEVER have done that to my wife. I honestly hate practical jokes. My kids quickly learned to never scare me.

September 4, 2012 @ 5:23 am

You’re a good husband, MJ. Because only BAD husbands would pull pranks like that. I’m afraid if I’d been the wife in that video, he would have been talking like Elmer Fudd…until his broken nose healed. 🙂

My son tries to scare me, but rarely succeeds, thank goodness. I don’t like being startled at all. Fortunately I seem to have some sort of radar with him…and it frustrates him to no end.

2. Tameri Etherton
    August 24, 2012 @ 3:30 pm

Love this, Kristy! I’m going to make up a love scrapbook just like you suggested. This will be fun and give me a chance to view my relationship in the giddy, heady, way a teenage girl would. My poor husband, he’ll be so confused! But that’s part of the awesomeness of it.

Never settle for just being, always strive for amazing. That’s what I think, anyway.

August 24, 2012 @ 4:41 pm

Cool, Tameri! I really think it’s things like this that help keep relationships ‘new.’ LOL about your husband. From what I’ve seen, though, he’ll probably get into it as much as you do. And you’re thinking right. Amazing is always the better way to go! 🙂

3. Jennifer
    August 24, 2012 @ 4:00 pm

SO TRUE! I think marriage should be a continued courtship, but so much of the time we get caught up with jobs and kids and finances that it just sort of slides. My hubby would also cringe at the thought of a scrapbook, but I might just do it anyway – I can keep him tied up for a few minutes!

For your last question, I want both! But part of what makes the young-love thrills is just the newness of it, so I don’t really think it’s a lasting thing. But a deeper version of it . . . oh yeah!

August 24, 2012 @ 4:48 pm

Hi, Jennifer! Nice to meet you. 🙂

It is that letting the romance slide because of the jobs, kids, etc…that we need to be so aware of. A great relationship can make all of those other things easier to deal with, but too often, our mate falls too far down on the list of importance.

Yay on doing the book. While you have the hubby tied up, break out a feather and start tickling his feet. 🙂

4. Karen McFarland
    August 24, 2012 @ 5:46 pm

Ah, here’s the thing Tameri, keep ’em confused! Where is the fun and spice without confusion? Do we really want them to figure us out? LOL! I’ve been married for almost thirty-seven years. You need to switch it up a bit. It keeps our mates interest. We are still a challenge. And what male doesn’t like a challenge? It’s all in a days work. My job is never done!

Great suggestions as always Kristy! I love your series. Keep them coming! 🙂

August 25, 2012 @ 5:00 am

Sounds like you should start giving advice, Karen. Thirty-eight years! Congratulations…and keep confusing your husband…sounds like it works! 🙂

And thank you. I’m sure going to try. 🙂

5. August McLaughlin
    August 25, 2012 @ 2:38 pm

Poignant post, Kristy. I think there’s real beauty in the black and white, love with all your heart mindset of youth. It makes Romeo & Juliet (both teens) very realistic! I do think we should value relationships more than many adults do, but I also think teen girls under-value themselves.

August 25, 2012 @ 3:13 pm

Thanks, August. And you couldn’t be more right! I see young girls on my Facebook page who, when their relationships end, post all sorts of depressing,my-life-is-over-without-you things (music, quotes)…and I just want to scream…YOU’RE LUCKY THE JERK IS OUT OF YOUR LIFE! Now go find someone who appreciates you! Someone who values you, respects you, and thinks THEY’RE the lucky one to have you. But they put up with things that break my heart…because they’re desperate to keep immature, selfish, egotistical buttheads…who treat them like disposable girlfriends. It makes me crazy.

6. extension128
    August 25, 2012 @ 10:34 pm

Great stuff, Kristy!

Given how hectic life can be (and such times we are all living in now), it is very easy to forget what (more importantly, who) is important. As a recent newlywed (for the first time), one of my great joys was and still is doing the “little things” to show Lauren how much I love her and to keep our relationship fresh and exciting. What woman doesn’t want to receive flowers @ work for no other reason than “just because”?

Keep up the great work!

Steve

August 26, 2012 @ 12:05 am

Hi, Steve…
      Nice to meet you! And thank you very much. It sounds to me like I should be saying ‘keep up the great work’ to you. It also sounds like your wife is a very lucky lady. With the effort you continue to make, I’m guessing you’ll have a long and happy marriage. Because you’re right…it’s the little things that matter. 🙂

Kristy

• extension128
        August 26, 2012 @ 2:36 pm

I’m a lucky guy too. Lauren “gets me” and I “get her”, that’s why we are such a good match.

Take care

7. Natalie Hartford
    August 27, 2012 @ 10:48 am

So beautifully said and a wonderful reminder!

8. Marcy Kennedy
    August 27, 2012 @ 11:07 am

My husband and I are still relatively newly married (our two-year anniversary is next month), but even for us, we have to work at keeping romance alive so that we don’t just become friends with wedding rings. It’s not easy when the cares of life take over. I think the date scrap book is a great idea. I wish I’d started that earlier when we were dating 🙂

August 27, 2012 @ 8:37 pm

I love that…friends with wedding rings. I think that too many marriages hit that place, along with the whole friends with (occasional) benefits. That’s not what it was meant to be.

As for the scrapbook, it’s never to late to start. And still being a newlywed, you’re getting in early in the game. 🙂

August 27, 2012 @ 2:48 pm

Beautiful post, Kristy. You have some lovely ideas. You know, the little things really matter in a relationship. They call the courtship of a relationship the three month bliss. Reality is bound to creep in. It’s our job to work at it and keep tt spark alive on a daily basis. Anything of value is worth working for. And that’s the good kind of work, right?

August 27, 2012 @ 8:40 pm

Thanks, Debra! And it’s absolutely right! Reality can really hurt relationships, so it does take work…if a couple wants to avoid what Marcy said…friends with wedding rings. I think I’d like to experience that three month bliss ALL of the time. 🙂

10. clarbojahn
    August 28, 2012 @ 7:09 am

Thanks for sharing such a sweet post. It made me think of other ways to show my husband he’s number one. I think I may give him flowers tonight or chocolate on his pillow. 🙂

August 28, 2012 @ 2:15 pm

Hi, Clar…nice to meet you! Hope your husband knows what a lucky guy he is. How cool that you give him flowers. Who ever decided that it was a guy-to-girl gift was crazy. Because guys to enjoy getting them, too. 🙂

11. Hubby’s Corner: One person’s junk is another person’s treasure! – Natalie Hartford
    September 3, 2012 @ 8:01 am

[…] Amazing post by Kristy James on how we can use our high school romance gestures to light a fire in today’s marriages. […]

12. Jenny Hansen
    September 4, 2012 @ 2:59 am

What a sweet post, Kristy! Loved it!