1. susielindau
    December 8, 2012 @ 8:08 am

Oh my god. A week! Hahaha! I am still working on my first after a year and a half! Congrats and good luck!

December 9, 2012 @ 3:24 pm

Thanks, Susie. 🙂 I think that something like NaNo really helps with getting things written quickly. It definitely wasn’t anything anyone would have wanted to read when I finished it, but that’s why we edit. And edit, edit, and edit some more. But I’ve finally experienced what everyone else was talking about…just get the story done – and fix it after. I think I like that style of writing, because I’ve always tried to write as close to a final draft as possible…and that just takes so much longer. Editing doesn’t take nearly as long…and I’ll be on my third trip through the story today. 🙂

December 9, 2012 @ 9:30 pm

Hey thanks Kristy. I’ve got a book coming out next week, so your timing is perfect. now to find 5 people to tag….LOL

December 10, 2012 @ 4:51 am

I didn’t realize you had a new one coming out, Louise…so I’m doubly glad. And good luck with finding five people. 🙂

• Louise Behiel
        December 10, 2012 @ 11:20 pm

I have 3, so I think I’ll go with them and see what happens. some of them are going to guest post on my blog, which is a good thing too.

December 11, 2012 @ 2:48 pm

Do you ever wonder if that guy might happen across your work – or blog even? Congratulations on getting it out so fast. Damn! I’ve been honing my story FOREVER. I think everyone has heard it by now.

Congratulations to Louise. Cool news on her book, too. Let’s see what I come up with.

December 16, 2012 @ 3:03 pm

Wow, I am really behind in catching up on comments this time! Hi, Debra!

I actually don’t ever wonder about that guy stumbling across my work. I only admired him from afar, so I couldn’t say one way or another if he even knew I was alive (I was extremely shy back then).

It’s really hard to try to figure out when a story is ready, isn’t it? It hit me when I was editing the novella that I could go through it a thousand times – and still find something wrong, or something should change…whether it was actually wrong, or needed changing in the first place.

Someone on the WANA board made this suggestion to me, and I think it was actually pretty good. Ask myself this…am I making the story better, or am I changing it into something else (my paraphrase). It’s a great question to ask, though I suspect that changing it into something else could EASILY be masked as making it better.

Someone else suggested it was ready when you couldn’t stand the thought of reading it one more time (again, my paraphrase). LOL….I think that’s going to have to be my measuring stick. 🙂