1. Karen McFarland
    January 22, 2013 @ 6:36 pm

Ah Kristy. Isn’t it fun getting older? Not! Just think how much fun it was to spend time with the kids. Bike riding is a wonderful form of excercise. Although mine is hanging from the rafters in the garage and collecting dust. Waiting for hubby to get better so that we can ride together. It was our dream to ride our bike around the beach. But not right now. So I’m sticking with walking. Actually, I think it’s safer since I read your post. 🙂

January 28, 2013 @ 3:48 pm

Yeah, I definitely think walking is safer! 🙂 And it was fun riding with the kids…except for the whole target thing. I swear every time we went out, my son saw a target on me or my bike. I’m not kidding, I can’t count the number of times I had to get out of his way because he was aiming directly for me. 🙂

2. John
    January 22, 2013 @ 7:24 pm

No fun at all being ‘older’…

3. Kitt Crescendo
    January 22, 2013 @ 9:36 pm

Thank you so much for picking that song! I forgot how much I loved it. I’ve always had a soft spot for Keith Whitley…(tragic the way he died). Having said that, I completely understand where you’re coming from with the whole “riding a bike” thing. My mom tried it a few years ago for the first time in ages. When I stopped over to check on her, I thought maybe she’d taken up hockey with all her bruises…LOL! I may have to blog her story one day. Her telling was pretty hysterical.

January 28, 2013 @ 3:50 pm

Keith Whitley was a great singer, wasn’t he? And I just love this song…especially the video. It always makes me tear up when I watch it.

Oh your poor mom!!! Ouch! The only thing bruised on me was what I used to sit on the seat with the bumps on it. Fortunately I never did fall off, though I worried about it every time I got on. 🙂

• Kitt Crescendo
        January 28, 2013 @ 8:20 pm

Well, my step-dad says she “threw” the bike one way and fell the other…LOL! And yeah…Keith Whitley truly was a “Gentle Giant”. Died way too soon…:-(

4. Tameri Etherton
    January 23, 2013 @ 8:49 am

Bikes. Sheesh. I actually love riding bikes, but since that’s how I snapped my posterior tibial tendon four years ago and needed major reconstructive surgery to fix my foot, I’m a tad frightened of them now. Of course, it wasn’t the bike’s fault. I could’ve snapped it stepping off a curb, but I didn’t. I snapped it standing up to pedal the stupid bike up a hill.

Did you keep the too-big-for-you bike? You should’ve taken it back and gotten one fit for you. That will actually make a world of difference! The upside here is that you got your son out and about. Anything we can do to keep them off the video games is a huge win.

How’d he do at the Special Olympics event?

January 28, 2013 @ 3:57 pm

Oh ouch! Standing up on a bike…scary stuff. In more ways than one!

I did keep the bike…and bought a seat with some actual padding, which made it even harder to mount the stupid thing. I have since given it away though. I haven’t actually tried getting on any bike since my car accident, but just the thought of falling off scared me enough that I didn’t want to try it. Never want to do the physical therapy thing again so I’ll just stick with walking, Pilates and pools. 🙂

I didn’t actually attend that particular Special Olympics. It was up north, but he came home with a few ribbons. When I’ve gone to the local events (and even helped a time or two), he tended to ‘aim high.’ As in, you can’t sit on your butt playing video games day after day and then think you’re actually going to win a race where you have to run around the track 2 or 3 times. But he does give it his best shot, before he starts walking like he’s been in a desert for several days without a drop of water. 🙂

January 23, 2013 @ 3:52 pm

I haven’t ridden a bike in years. Maybe that’s because I don’t own one. My husband got one for himself and the kids. Guess I don’t need to play. 🙁 I remember the brake on the handle bars. I remember flying down GMR (that was short for our mountain road) and the dang thing flew off! I used the soles of my shoes to stop. Hey, I could think things out even back then. Bet my mom loved taking me shoe shopping. Better that then the splat that could have happened, though.

I think you should get a different bike. Make sure it’s a girls so that the bar curves down and doesn’t go straight across. Contact the place where you got them and see if they will exchange the bike for you. It’s dangerous riding a bike like that. I’m just saying.

So glad you got your boy out in the Special Olympics. That’s so cool!

January 28, 2013 @ 4:02 pm

Nice husband… 🙁

I had a bike kind of like yours. I think it was a 3 speed, and when I was 13 or 14, the brakes didn’t work at all…front or back. So when I wanted to stop, I’d put my foot on the metal thing that curved over the front tire, press down, and coast to a stop. If I had to stop in a hurry, I’d run it into a tree or telephone pole (beat getting hit by a car, lol). Amazingly enough, someone stole it, and the house insurance covered a new one…with brakes that actually worked. 🙂

I think I’m just done with bike riding. As I explained to Tameri, after the accident, and 9 months in physical and occupational therapy, I’m just not taking a chance. It took way too much work to get back to normal. I’ll just stick with my treadmill, on again/off again Pilates, and the pool. 🙂

January 25, 2013 @ 9:59 pm

I haven’t tried riding a bike for the reasons you just articulated so well. thanks for reminding me and affirming my decision. definitely get a different bike. one that fits.