1. Kathie Thompson Juliano
    December 9, 2013 @ 12:11 am

Wow the lighthouse was cool and I’m thinking ghost of the widow who kept the light shining for her husband who was lost and sea, you can see her looking out the bedroom window and then your daughter turns the corner and there’s a flat screen tv on the wall, Lol Totally lost the mood……You owe her big time for freezing, next time maybe you should go in the late spring or early fall, not too many tourists and you don’t freeze your tush off.

December 13, 2013 @ 12:14 am

LOL…I laughed when I saw the big screen television, too. Just not something you’d expect to see with all of the antiques in the there, is it? And I do owe her. I told her we’d try to get up there in warmer weather…but she seemed pretty interested in going up in the winter again when we could stay longer. Only I fear if we do that, we’ll be arguing about driving over the bridge again. She wants to go across…and I do not. I love looking at the bridge from Mackinaw City…but I HATE going across that thing – especially knowing that a vehicle blew over the side a couple of decades ago. Someday I’d like to see if they have car ferries. πŸ™‚

2. Karen McFarland
    December 9, 2013 @ 12:34 am

Yay, you got away Kristy! It is so hard to get out of town, let alone leave the house. lol. But, when you do, great things happen. And look, you spent some quality time with your family and you all had a good time. Love the pics. I’ve always heard that the Mackinaw area of your state was beautiful. And it’s in your back yard. Now you need to rest up for your next excursion! πŸ™‚

December 13, 2013 @ 12:16 am

It was a lot of fun, Karen…and over too fast. Next time we’re going to have to stay longer. Maybe when the weather is a bit warmer. Good grief the air blowing in across those lakes is COLD! πŸ™‚

And it is gorgeous up there. It’s one of my favorite places to go. Beautiful enough that they filmed the Christopher Reeve/Jane Seymour movie Somewhere in Time (I think that’s the title) up on Mackinaw Island. πŸ™‚

3. mj monaghan
    December 15, 2013 @ 6:34 pm

I’ve never been to that part of MI, but have always heard great things about it. Having lived in Rome, NY years ago, we had lake effect snow and winds frequently. There is a certain beauty in the cold also.

December 15, 2013 @ 8:45 pm

I’m a little further from Lake Michigan than you were from Lake Ontario. Maybe that’s why we don’t get much lake effect snow here (not as much as I’d like anyway). However…they didn’t have much up there either, which surprised us both. If it’s gotta be cold, might as well have snow. πŸ™‚

There is beauty in the cold. I keep trying to get the video she took right on the beach the next morning uploaded to YouTube, but either get distracted – or upload the wrong one. She is a lot different than her mother, who prefers to admire the that beauty by looking out a window. When she said let’s film this from the beach…I said go for it…and I stayed in the nice warm van. πŸ˜€

But it is gorgeous up there. If I invested in a snowmobile suit, I might even consider living up there. πŸ™‚

• mj monaghan
        December 16, 2013 @ 8:40 pm

So, my friend, did you actually go over the Mackinaw (that is correct, right?) Bridge? You know we share that fear, along with flying, and for me, elevators.

• mj monaghan
          December 16, 2013 @ 8:41 pm

And yes, I would have stayed in the warm van, for sure!

December 17, 2013 @ 5:47 am

It would have been a good call. I still can’t believe she wanted to go down to the beach, and she was pretty much frozen by the time she got back in the van, lol. Hopefully I’ll have the video up on my Facebook page sometime this century. That’s sure a slow process. πŸ™‚

December 17, 2013 @ 5:38 am

Yes that’s right…and no we did not. We argued about it for a while, but my fear of heights won that one. I hate going over that bridge on a clear, sunny day in the summer so there’s no way I’m going over it on a super windy, bitterly cold winter night…or day. I’d rather take a car ferry, but I don’t know if they have them anymore. πŸ™‚