1. Stormi D Johnson
    January 18, 2014 @ 7:07 am

I would hate to go gluten-free though sometimes I do wonder if it would help. I seem to have gathered up a nice little stomach problem after having my gall bladder taken out and it seems like everything I eat tears up my tummy. 🙁

I am not sure if I could live gluten-free just from your fifteen reasons why you hate gluten. 🙁

January 18, 2014 @ 5:15 pm

Stormi…how awful about your stomach. I don’t remember why my doctor prescribed something called Questran for me once, but apparently it was originally made to help absorb stomach bile for people who had their gall bladders removed. No offense to whoever invented it, but it kind sucks. It’s like drinking powdered chalk, so I only took it like twice. But I’d bet it would work in tomato or vegetable juice. It’s worth a shot to see if it helps.

But yes, gluten can cause serious digestive issues for some people. My most serious side effects are the swelling and edema (which might mean it’s more of a wheat allergy), but I do experience digestive issues, too.

I didn’t think I could go gluten-free either. LOL…some days I’m still not sure, but when the after effects of eating something with gluten actually scares you, it’s easier than you might think. And there are a lot of decent alternatives. It’s just there are some things that will never be the same – a jelly doughnut and a slice of fresh out the oven homemade bread for example. It’s when I’m really craving things like that (like last night) when I hate gluten the most. 🙂

2. Kitt Crescendo
    January 19, 2014 @ 12:05 am

All the reasons you listed are all the reasons my stepdad freaks at the idea of leaving the comfort of their home to go out to eat. He hates going to restaurants he’s unfamiliar with because he hates having to question their staff about the food. It embarrasses him that he has to explain to people why he is so “picky” or what gluten is.

He’s lucky, though, in that he’s got a family who has figured out ways to make sure he doesn’t miss out on all the fun stuff just because he has an allergy to something in practically every food product ever.

January 22, 2014 @ 9:54 pm

Your step-dad is a very lucky man. Not everyone is prepared to go to any lengths to make life easier for someone with a food allergy, though I have a couple of family members who do that for me.

But I’m right with him as far as the embarrassment goes. I really miss the days when all I had to worry about at a restaurant was having to choose just one of the many delicious options on the menu.

And you are SO right about wheat being in pretty much everything. I just had to buy a new no-stick cooking spray the other day because for the first time in two years, I noticed the one I always use says, “May contain traces of wheat.” In cooking spray??? Why?

LOL…it’s a very frustrating allergy. Especially when companies that label their foods gluten-free are likely to be cross-contaminated (this pizza, for example http://glutendude.com/gluten/is-amys-pizza-really-gluten-free/ )

• Kitt Crescendo
        January 22, 2014 @ 9:57 pm

I’m betting that the “may contain traces” means they make the stuff in a warehouse where they also make gluten products. They’re at least honest enough to warn you that there’s an outside chance of cross contamination…unlike the company you mentioned in your second paragraph.

January 25, 2014 @ 7:30 am

I just found two comments from you (this is one), and one from MJ in my spam folder? WordPress really annoys me sometimes. :/

Anyway, I recently learned that the ‘may contain traces’ of is because of the ventilation systems in factories that produce both kinds of food (those with gluten and those without). But yes, I do appreciate the warnings. Even a little can make life hard for a while.

3. Karen McFarland
    January 21, 2014 @ 6:07 pm

Kristy, you have my deepest sympathy. I cannot imagine what steps you have to take in order to protect your health. And then, maybe I do. As you know, or may not know, I live with a severe allergy to all things fragrant because they are made from petroleum and neurotoxins. I can shake like I have Parkinson’s and feel like I have the flu. So because of this, I don’t go to the movies or restaurants unless they are outdoors. That would also include malls. Twenty years ago, I had a doctor tell me to stay away from wheat because they were spraying, or doing something to it. And am I ever glad. I rarely eat wheat unless it’s organic. My mainstay is rice. I eat rice cakes, rice bread. No gluten. I do not want what you and so many have. Hang in there my friend. Even though you’d like to eat out, the quality of food in the restaurants suck. So you may be better off. Have a gluten free pizza instead. They’re not bad. I like them. Take care and thanks for sharing your feelings. {{Hugs!}}

January 22, 2014 @ 9:59 pm

I have read about your allergy, Karen. Something about you and your husband having to stay in a hotel while something was done in or near your home…and the staff screwed up somehow. (I haven’t had much sleep this week, lol). I’d like to say I can’t imagine what you have to deal with, but I know how offensive it is to my nose to pass someone in a store who bathed in cologne. Or just walking down the laundry aisle. The smells alone are enough to make me hold my breath. It would be awful for them to make you sick, too.

I know what you mean about restaurant quality food, but I had a couple of favorite places, though I’ve learned to replicate a few things at home so I don’t feel totally deprived. Hugs to you, too. 🙂