1. Anonymous
    June 29, 2014 @ 8:10 pm

I totally agree with Kitt. Why does it have to be a percentageof the bill? It shouldn’t matter if I ordered a $10 meal or a $100 meal.

July 6, 2014 @ 7:36 pm

I agree, too. That’s why I’d rather pay more for the meal and have the server be paid an hourly. Do away with tipping altogether so no one has to worry about it – or food tampering.

2. Kitt Crescendo
    June 29, 2014 @ 2:50 pm

I can totally see your point. Honestly, I still tip based on the quality of service I receive. I refuse to be bullied by folks who feel tipping should be “mandatory” and at a very specific rate. There was actually one place my friend and I went to where we didn’t tip at all because the service was terrible, the meals were wrong (multiple times), and the server sat there and made excuses to us as to why after the manager came to our table and asked us how our service was (and we were honest).

July 6, 2014 @ 7:34 pm

I’m okay with not tipping in that kind of situation, though the few times it’s happened, I won’t return to the restaurant for a long, long time. Waitstaff remember people who don’t tip, and I have no doubt they get their revenge. It’s a strange world we live in today. People want to be paid no matter how bad they do their jobs. 🙁

3. Korinna Rena Props-Berry
    June 29, 2014 @ 4:15 am

I agree completely! Without getting into a long story, my second job was an HR manager and my boss was the cheapest jerk I have ever met – aside from my husband’s boss. He would charge 20% on all parties and keep 10 % for himself and split the other ten between 4-5 workers. I always emceed parties and hosted them but got nothing because I was a manager. I would have been ok with that too if I was paid a fair wage for what I did. This happens way too much!!!! There is no even stevens and a fair wage should be the optimal way to go so these employees stop getting screwed over. They like the tangible material that is in their hands- however it is what they are not seeing that is the problem. Then you have those like you said who want to retaliate. It’s disgusting that this behavior exists. I am on disability yet I always tip 20% unless the service sucks and even then I will tip 10%. This is their wages as menial as it is and they have to turn around by law and report at least 10%.

July 6, 2014 @ 7:31 pm

Wow, I am seriously losing track of time here. I’m in the middle of a big editing job for a friend, and one day is blending into another until a week is gone and I’m not sure where it went. 😀

Sounds like you and your hubby are far too experienced with lousy bosses, Korinna. Glad I’m not the only one who feels this way though. But yes, I’ve never not tipped someone, even for poor service either.