1. Marcy Kennedy
    December 17, 2011 @ 12:04 pm

Sending hugs. I wish your Christmas wasn’t tinged with sadness.

Some of my most precious Christmas memories are from Christmas Eve. We would always (and still do) have dinner with my maternal grandparents, and that was the time when we observed the traditions they’d brought with them from the old country. It was fish, never meat. And after dinner, we’d share oplatki, a thin wafer. I don’t know how I will integrate this tradition into my own celebrations once my grandparents are gone, but I know I want to continue it somehow.

2. Kristy K. James...Living, Loving, Laughing
    December 17, 2011 @ 12:51 pm

Thanks, Marcy. I don’t think I’m sad so much as I just don’t feel anything right now. And I’m missing it because…well…it’s Christmas. I don’t want to just go through the motions.

What a cool tradition to have with your grandparents! And don’t worry. It’s important to you so you won’t have a problem keeping it going when they’re gone. In fact, I think that after they’re gone from your life, it will be more important than ever to you, so you’ll find a way. And your family will want you to because they’re already used to it.

You’re the second family I know of who uses fish for Christmas celebrations. One of my aunts married into a family who look forward every year to something called sill balls, which are made from fish.

3. Shelly Immel
    December 17, 2011 @ 2:27 pm

Those are some lovely memories, Kristy! There is such power in memory to add meaning and joy or sadness (or both) to our lives. Thanks for sharing yours.

Gently and with love I say that just because you’ve done something before doesn’t mean you have to do it this year. A first holiday after a loved one’s death carries a lot of baggage. Don’t expect yourself to get everything else done with your usual vim and vigor when you’re already tired from the emotional load. Be kind to yourself, Kristy. If letting yourself go like a bull at a red cape is kind, then go for it. If minimal decorating is kind, then do that and kiss the rest goodbye this year! There are plenty of people out there going through exactly this. You are not alone. XO

4. Kristy K. James...Living, Loving, Laughing
    December 17, 2011 @ 9:58 pm

That’s good advice, Shelly, thank you. And I think we’re just going to let most of it go. Technically this is the second Christmas, but between it happening less than two weeks before Christmas last year, then planning the service and stuff, I just don’t remember much about it. But I’m fairly sure we had most of the decorations up before.

And you’re right. There are a lot of people going through this, too. Even my youngest daughter told me this afternoon that she just doesn’t really care about Christmas this year. Except for the gifts, of course, lol. She’s vetoed the idea of postponing all of this until sometime in January…twice.

So we’re just going to go with minimal this year. That works for me. Except I AM putting my Christmas village up out here. Might cheer me up as I ‘try’ to get everything organized in my office so I can start writing up a storm when the holidays are over (and I HOPEFULLY have my good computer back…I miss it!). 🙂

• Shelly Immel
      December 18, 2011 @ 3:11 pm

Oh, I can’t believe you’re still without your good computer! Life w/o all the files and tools and Favorites and such you’re used to makes everything slower and more irritating! I hope you get your good computer back soon. May your Christmas village light up the room and the night for you!

And who knows–maybe the computer hackers are wallowing in thorny holly bushes wrapped in poison ivy even as I type…

5. Kristy K. James...Living, Loving, Laughing
    December 18, 2011 @ 6:35 pm

Yeah, I can’t believe it either. But I’ll lose everything…including the bookmarks…with the reinstall. I just don’t want to try to get everything normal on THIS piece of junk and then have to do it again when I get the other one back. One it’s time consuming, and two I don’t like doing it, lol.

Here’s hoping you’re spot on about the hackers. Maybe we can add poison oak to the mix, too. 🙂