1. breeanaputtroff
    February 8, 2012 @ 10:54 am

Great post, Kristy. You know things are crazy when people leave high positions in the FDA to take on higher-paying jobs at Monsanto.

February 8, 2012 @ 4:16 pm

It’s all nuts. People need to win a lottery so they can buy everything they eat from health food stores…if they want to avoid all the garbage the government allows in our regular food supplies. Chemicals, poisons…

One of the things that really bugs me is buying meat these days. If a service station added water to our gasoline, they’d be in big trouble. But you can’t buy a package of meat anymore that doesn’t have water added to it to pad the weight.

Okay. I’ll stop now. NOT a good subject for me to get started on, lol.

February 8, 2012 @ 9:20 pm

Great post Kristy. My son was ADD and we went the diet route (30 years ago) rather than drugs. Made an incredible difference to his health and well being and life. AND it made me incredibly aware of what was done to our food before it got to us. truly scary as hell. thanks again for the reminder

February 10, 2012 @ 1:00 am

Thanks, Louise. I don’t blame you for changing your son’s diet. My baby brother used to be ADD…the doctor called it hyperactive…and put him on Ritalin. After keeping him home one day and seeing how it affected him (made him like a zombie), she took him off it and found teachers who would actually teach him. I don’t think she changed his diet, though.

And it is scary the things that are done to our food. It makes me want to scream every time I see a 10 year old wearing a bigger bra than I did in junior high school…thanks to the hormones in meat and dairy products. 🙁

3. August McLaughlin
    February 9, 2012 @ 10:01 pm

It can be really difficult to sort out fact from fiction, particularly in our fear-based media. I’m all for eating whole, natural foods as much as possible. Although many additives actually have been proven safe for the majority of people, I steer on the better-safe-than-sorry side. I feel the same way about dietary supplements, many of which have the potential to cause more harm than good. Passionate post, Kristy!

February 10, 2012 @ 1:08 am

Thanks, August. I try to educate myself as much as possible, but have found that many people who just don’t care. If it tastes good, they’ll eat it. My daughter and I have an ongoing battle over one particular fast food restaurant. That’s fun… 🙂

I do take a handful of supplements (by that I mean a few different kinds, not an actual handful)…but only after thoroughly researching them. And most of those are to try to counteract the fatigue caused from having hypothyroidism.