1. Marcy Kennedy
    April 16, 2012 @ 3:01 pm

Wow, you’re right. I hadn’t heard of it before because with those stats I would have remembered. Why do you think more people haven’t heard about it?

April 16, 2012 @ 5:09 pm

From everything I’ve read, it was such a horrible, traumatic event that people just wanted to wipe it out of their minds. I would have thought the opposite would have happened…learn from that experience and make sure it never happens again. It just amazes me when I see some of the insignificant, unimportant that have historical value, yet this was swept right under a rug.

What really bothers me is that scientists dug up bodies of Spanish flu victims and have tissue samples in their labs. Sure hope no one ever decides it’s a good tool for germ warfare. Yes, that sounds paranoid, lol, but I’ve done a LOT of research. Hard not to wonder about it when the virus that has such killing potential has been resurrected.

April 16, 2012 @ 8:53 pm

That little rhyme has been stuck in my head since you told me yesterday. So odd. Before this I think the most I’ve watched on this was about a hospital that treated the sick. Did you read up on that? Had a tunnel to hide all the bodies they carted to the train so people wouldn’t see how many were dying. It’s among America’s most haunted now. 😉

April 16, 2012 @ 10:00 pm

I know what you mean, Debra. It stuck in my head for a long time. It’s just so eerie…and a very morbid thing for kids to be chanting during a time like that.

No, I never heard about that hospital or tunnel. Do you remember anymore details? I can’t find anything on Google about it but would love to find out more about it. 🙂

April 19, 2012 @ 7:36 pm

AMAZING I had no idea. Gives me a new level of fear about a modern pandemic. wow. I don’t know whether to say thanks or not, Kristy. scared the daylights out of me.

April 19, 2012 @ 8:10 pm

I know what you mean. Having learned so much about that pandemic, I have to say when things like H1N1 start making the news, I start to sweat a little bit. And trying to explain why it makes me so nervous can be interesting…because people will think I’m a little paranoid. I just want to say…LOOK IT UP…you might be a little paranoid, too. 🙂

4. JennyBean
    April 21, 2012 @ 9:07 am

Gracious! And I thought that stomach bug we had last week was bad. Kudos to you for incorporating history into your plot.

xoxo

April 21, 2012 @ 1:46 pm

Thanks. It’s definitely one of the most interesting projects I’ve ever worked on. Hope you and your family are feeling better this week. Stomach bugs are a nasty thing! 🙂

5. Influenza Season – Should We Be Worried? | Kristy K. James
    January 15, 2013 @ 11:12 pm

[…] going to steal a couple of quotes from a blog I wrote last spring, titled The Spanish Influenza Pandemic, so you can see why I might worry about it more than most […]