1. Kristy K. James...Living, Loving, Laughing
    December 31, 2011 @ 2:06 pm

LOL about being the most wonderful person in the world. Sad though that he’s forgetting. I don’t know why animals age so fast. Some of them anyway. Others have lifespans closer to that of human beings. 🙁

And thanks for sharing, Samantha! This was a GREAT post…information people really need to be aware of when considering pets. 🙂

2. Samantha Warren
    December 31, 2011 @ 1:39 pm

Kristy, my grandma’s cat is 16. Ok, so he’s technically mine, I guess. We had a stray that got pregnant before we could get her fixed and grandma said we could keep two kittens or the cat. Yeah, tough choice for a 7th grader. Thought the poor guy was a girl until we took him to the vet to get him fixed (how, I have no idea). His name is Belle. 😛 He has cataracts and I’m pretty sure he’s senile. He wants to eat all the time, but it’s like he forgets there’s food on the floor for him. So you pick up the bowl and put it back down and he acts like you’re the most wonderful person in the world for feeding him.

3. Samantha Warren
    December 31, 2011 @ 1:35 pm

I hear you about the farm thing, Marcy. When I was growing up, I’m sure we had 40+ cats (now it’s only about a dozen out there). It’s like people see a farm and think it’s ok to drop off their unwanted pets. I guess it’s better that they end up somewhere where they’ll be fed than dropped out in the middle of nowhere. We spend a lot on cat food for them, and they always get fresh milk. Itty Bitty Kitty (the video on my blog) is one of the barn cats. I love those guys almost as much as I do my own.

Thanks so much, Jenny! 🙂

And Kristy, thanks for hosting me. 🙂 Pets are wonderful (except today, when little miss Bunny Boop has somehow found a hole in her cardboard prison and keeps escaping).

December 31, 2011 @ 2:04 pm

I just don’t get people sometimes. They HAVE to know that pets require time, attention and expense. They shouldn’t get them if they’re not committed to following through. Pets are like kids…they love us and depend on us to be there. Abandoning them, whether it’s in the country, or at an animal shelter, should NEVER be an option.

4. Kristy K. James...Living, Loving, Laughing
    December 31, 2011 @ 11:58 am

I don’t know when pets are considered senior citizens, but Shadow…a black lab…came into our lives when she wandered away from home. Going through proper channels, we took her to animal control, intending to bring her home if no one claimed her in a certain amount of time. The employee knew who her owners were-because this happened regularly and, fortunately they were moving and couldn’t take her with them. But they were at least her second owners, and we’re fairly sure the first one used a shock collar on her because in the 4+ years she’s lived with us, she’s only barked one time. Based on the little info we got, she’s 10-12 now.

She’s stuck with us until the end…which I hope is a long time coming. So are the rest of them. Yes, they’re definitely a financial investment, but they’re worth it. And they’re part of the family now so there’s no question about them staying.

5. jennybeansblog
    December 31, 2011 @ 8:40 am

We have two geriatric canines and they are soooooo a part of our family. I hate those stories you hear of people who buy a pet on a whim…. Pets are commitments. They are expensive. But they will give you unconditional love, and that’s not always easy to find.

Love your bio, Samantha!

6. Kristy K. James...Living, Loving, Laughing
    December 30, 2011 @ 6:17 pm

Oh they’re family alright. Sometimes I wish they weren’t. Like when nic nacs get knocked off shelves and broken, or Jack can’t wait the 10 seconds it takes to get from the sofa to the front door to let him out. But what are you gonna do? Just sigh, clean up the mess and try to find a safer place for the breakables.

Yeah, the movie does look cute. Of course it’s Matt Damon… 🙂

7. Kristy K. James...Living, Loving, Laughing
    December 30, 2011 @ 5:17 pm

I know exactly what you mean, Marcy. We have FIVE indoor cats, plus two dogs. All but one each were strays. It really does feel like I live in a zoo sometimes (probably why I want to see that Matt Damon movie tomorrow!). But it is what it is. Couldn’t stand the thought of them being put to sleep so here they are. And here they’ll stay.

• Marcy Kennedy
      December 30, 2011 @ 6:07 pm

They really do become family 🙂
      I’d love to hear what you think of the movie. It looks really cute.

8. Marcy Kennedy
    December 30, 2011 @ 2:50 pm

I wanted to stand up and clap after the PSA. At one time, I was up to 12 cats. I know that sounds extreme (I’m really not a crazy cat lady), but they were all cats that found me after someone had abandoned them (and I live on a farm so only four ended up living inside). By the time they reached my doorstep, they were starving, terrified, and often injured. Two showed up pregnant. The local shelter is always full and basically told me they’d have to be put down. So I kept them. I had zero discretionary income because I spent it all spaying/neutering them, getting them their vaccinations, etc. And I loved each and every one of them. People who don’t take responsibility for their pets make me furious.

9. Kristy K. James...Living, Loving, Laughing
    December 30, 2011 @ 12:28 pm

I agree with that, Louise! I’ve said it before, and I’m not exaggerating even a little bit, I usually spend more money on pet medical care than I do on human medical care. Once they’re here they’re family. And in the same way I wouldn’t kick the humans out, they’re here for good, too. 🙂

December 30, 2011 @ 8:42 am

I have never understood people who give up their pets. They’re like my children – once I decide to adopt or buy, they’re mine for life. In a tough time, my dogs had better dental care (from the vet) than I did from the dentist. and spaying and neutering is a must. as soon as they’re old enough