1. Marcy Kennedy
    July 27, 2012 @ 10:07 am

This was a great post! My husband and I are definitely on a budget, but we recognize the importance of setting aside a “date night” each week. We get free movie tickets through credit card points, so that’s what we’ve been doing for the last few months. When that’s not possible, I’m getting fairly decent at making a quick, yummy version of a meal we’d have at a restaurant and then we’ll settle in with a board game (nerdy I know, but that’s how we roll 🙂 )

July 28, 2012 @ 1:14 am

Thanks, Marcy! I love that you’re able to use points to get movie tickets! But I also think it’s totally cool to do the homemade restaurant meal and board game (NOT nerdy at all). The important thing is that you’re both making an effort to spend special, one on one time together. 🙂

2. Karen McFarland
    July 27, 2012 @ 9:46 pm

Aw Kristy, you are such a romantic. Who knew? You’re a sweetie. How kind you are to make suggestions that fit into anyone’s budget. I know that people don’t like talking about how bad the economy is, but it does take a toll on couples. You are so right Kristy. Taking time with each other is the important thing. It doesn’t need to cost you a dime. It’s time out from our hectic lives and finding the time to re-establish intimacy with one another and make a connection. It’s the glue to our relationship. Viva la romance! Kristy style! I like it! 🙂

July 28, 2012 @ 1:26 am

Hi, Karen! LOL…I’ve been seriously into romance since I got my first Barbie doll when I was seven. Of course she always had to have a big stuffed bear as her boyfriend until Santa finally brought me a Ken doll. 🙂

The reason I’m focusing on ‘cheap’ for this series is because I think people tend to forget about all the sweet things they considered romantic in the early days of their relationships. At some point, a little note stuck in a locker, or ticket stubs from the first movie were enough to send us all over the moon.

Those are the things that are important (as well as a guy doing dishes once in a while!). This seems like as good a time as any to remind people that keeping romance alive shouldn’t have to cost much…if anything.

Glad you like it. 🙂

3. Main Street Musings Blog
    July 28, 2012 @ 12:27 pm

Such an important message! It is so easy to take our partners for granted. We have all kids away today, so my husband and I are planning a date: making frittatas with veggies fresh from our garden and watching the Olympics together!

July 28, 2012 @ 1:05 pm

That sounds like a perfect afternoon date, Lisa! And fresh veggies… I miss having a garden, but when you buy a house where the dirt seems to have been mixed with Elmer’s glue (think hard-packed clay), the whole garden idea just kind of…doesn’t work.

Enjoy your afternoon alone time with your husband. And thanks for stopping by. It’s nice to meet you. 🙂

• mj monaghan
        July 29, 2012 @ 11:15 pm

KK, you’re gonna love Lisa!

July 30, 2012 @ 6:44 pm

You’re right. I’ve already enjoyed a couple of her posts. 🙂

4. mj monaghan
    July 29, 2012 @ 11:18 pm

Hmm, no computer or cell phone. Are you …

No, seriously you have some great suggestions. Just wish MLB was here with me instead of up in Northern Cal. Hopefully I will find work fairly soon and we can have date night again. Thank goodness for “Face Time” on our iPhones. Amazing that we can see each other on our phones.

Thanks for being a fellow hopeful romantic. These really are great tips.

• mj monaghan
      July 29, 2012 @ 11:19 pm

Oh, for some reason your blog dropped out of my Google Reader. But you’re back in. 😉

July 30, 2012 @ 6:50 pm

Aww…that sounds like too far away, MJ. I hope you find something quickly, too. But yes, it’s good you have your iPhones. That has to help. I’ve never been really enthused with cell phones, but they can come in handy.

And yes…I’ve been a hopeful (or hopeless, lol) romantic for as long as I can remember.

Must be an internet Twilight Zone thing going on. Right now, I’m showing up as a guest on MY blog every time I reply to someone. 🙂

5. Gigi Ann
    August 2, 2012 @ 7:58 am

What a fun post today. Hubby and I have lunch together each day, some days we eat at Subway and get a footlong sub for $5.00. Eat in the car and watch the traffic go by. Same with McDs, and it helps if he says he loves me after all these years, surprising he tells me that every day. So even on “date day or night” words go a long way!! ; )) Enjoy your dates everyone, and remember the fun always follows the date!!!