1. deena pastula
    August 31, 2013 @ 2:48 pm

That was fantastic, I know my spelling sucks so to avoid the backlash I make very few comments. Have a great Labor Day weekend.
    from a New Fan. Deena Pastula

August 31, 2013 @ 6:59 pm

Hi, Deena…it’s so nice to meet you. And thank you. I also want to say that I’m so sorry you feel like you can’t comment anywhere because of people who like to make others feel bad. I’m always saddened when some people think it’s okay to hurt the feelings of others over something as unimportant as spelling and grammar. There’s so much more to a person than their English skills (or their cooking, sewing, cleaning or mechanical skills), and I just wish everyone who says hurtful things would remember that.

I hope you’re having a fun holiday weekend, too. I’m pretty much staying at home so I can avoid the crazy traffic. After several near miss accidents yesterday, I decided there was nowhere I needed to go bad enough to be out in that mess, lol. 🙂

2. Alice Perkins
    August 31, 2013 @ 3:03 pm

Oh Kristy you have nailed it! A little background here. When I was three I learned to read and by the time I was five I was cooking and baking on my own. When I hit first grade the school wanted to put me in the class with the kids who had learning and behavioral disabilities, why? Because I was overweight ! They thought if I was “fat” I must be lacking in intelligence or social skills. That has stayed with me my entire life. I still feel that I am lacking even tho I have had many different jobs each requiring a different set of skills. I’ve done everything from catering, early childhood development, librarian, nurse, garden design and outdoor power equipment sales and service to name a few. But, still that little girl inside wonders if I’m good enough! Always choose your words with care you don’t know how long there echo will sound in the person they are directed at.

August 31, 2013 @ 7:04 pm

That is so awful, Alice! I hate when school employees make students feel bad about themselves, but there are many who do. It would be easy for me to say you should just put what they said out of your mind because none of it was true…but the whole sticks and stones thing is one of the biggest lies ever. Words do hurt, and they stay with you longer than the scars from any broken bones. Even words that were never meant to hurt, said at the wrong time, can impact your life forever.

When I was about fourteen, a relative was teasing me (not in a mean way at all), but he said my shoulders were so wide I could be a blocker for the Green Bay Packers. They aren’t, and never were, but for a long, long time, I felt very unfeminine. I know it was just my age…being an emotional, hormonal teen, but it took years before I could get past that.

So let’s make a deal here. You’re VERY gifted and intelligent…and I’d make a lousy football player. 🙂

3. Kathie Thompson Juliano
    August 31, 2013 @ 11:06 pm

I am constantly amazed (OK not so much, but I wish I was ;( ) by the nastiness people post in the comment sections on the internet, it’s seems like because they are sitting alone in a room writing a response that they can be as mean and nasty as they want. I can’t imagine they would say to someone’s face the kind of garbage they write. The ability to be anonymous has not made us a kinder, gentler nation, for sure.

September 1, 2013 @ 2:13 am

I couldn’t agree more, Kathie. I think the anonymity of the internet can turn mild-mannered Dr. Jekyll’s into vicious Mr. Hyde’s. If we’re not careful, it can bring out the worst in us …and that’s scary to me. I think what we do – and who we are – when there are no witnesses is what reveals our true characters. And those who choose to take advantage of the fact that no one knows who they really are in order to hurt and insult others…I don’t know. I just think it’s sad.