1. jansenschmidt
    August 15, 2013 @ 5:49 pm

Oh my goodness, how sad for that poor family, to lose someone so young. I’ve often wondered how someone could not hear a train coming, but I guess I’m not the kind of person who wanders around in la la land. I tend to pay attention when I’m going somewhere.

And, I too try very hard to keep electronics away from my body. I use my Kindle, but when I’m not downloading I keep the wireless turned off. And I rarely use my cell phone, I just have it as a convenience and for emergencies. I can’t even get cell reception in most of the areas around my house.

Thanks for the post, Kristie. Good information.

Patricia Rickrode
    w/a Jansen Schmidt

August 17, 2013 @ 10:31 pm

Good to know about the Kindle, Patricia. The only time my wireless is on is when I forget to turn it off after downloading a book…and that isn’t often. And while I use my cell phone more than I used to, thanks to my daughter’s texting habits, when compared to the way a lot of other people use theirs…mine is very minimal even now. 🙂

I’m with you on the paying attention to where you’re at. Even when you do pay attention, it’s still a dangerous world out there. People can run red lights and hit you…or anything really. So minimizing the risk as much as we can is smart. I just wish someone had talked to that kid. One stupid mistake and it’s over. 🙁

2. Tameri Etherton
    August 15, 2013 @ 10:52 pm

What a sad thing to have happen. That’s why I don’t listen to music when I walk. Knowing me, I’d stumble into the road as a car was coming, never hearing them. Such a sad, unfortunate thing for that family.

I fully admit that I’m addicted to technology. I almost always have my phone with me, am constantly connected to the world. I try to take time off from it, but I like being connected. I’ve heard about keeping my phone away from me and now I’m much more aware of that. I used to put my phone in my bra all the time.

Thanks for the information. Good stuff to know.

August 17, 2013 @ 10:20 pm

Yeah, you want to avoid the phone down the bra thing. It makes me wonder what could happen to people who carry it in their pants pockets though. All of our reproductive organs are below the waist…scary stuff.

And yes, that was too sad about the boy. I still can’t drive over the tracks in town without thinking about it…every time. It’s one of those situations where you want to scream at people….DON’T DO IT!!! But in this case, it would be too late.

Yeah, I’m pretty addicted to technology myself. The day and a half when I was without internet because someone hit the phone thingy across the road from my house seemed to last forever…and I found myself doing something I didn’t think I’d EVER do…checking my stuff via my cell phone. Often, lol.

3. Andrea @the Distracted Housewife.com
    August 19, 2013 @ 12:13 pm

That is so sad. As I read this post I had my phone in my lap and my I pad near by, all. have been used today and it’s only noon. This post and video are great reminders of what I should do. I can only imagine how much I would accomplish if I turned everything off. My husband and I do have a weekly no-electronics date night, which I find is amazing of our relationship since get to reconnect and communicate rather than consume mindless tv or more useless information.

August 19, 2013 @ 1:31 pm

I know exactly what you mean about getting more accomplished. If I really want to get much done in the way of cleaning, cooking, writing or editing, I have to turn all manner of social media off. For anything that can be done away from the computer, I will leave Spotify on (and blasting, depending on where in the house I happen to be). But it’s just too easy to get caught up in it all.

Unfortunately there are many people who can’t disconnect – ever. That’s why accidents happen, sometimes fatal accidents. 🙁

Good for you and your husband for a no-electronics date every week! It sounds like you have your priorities straight…one-on-one time is so important to a relationship.